“Play your part for a better internet.” That’s the theme for this year’s Safer Internet Day, celebrated on Tuesday 9.2. all over Europe.
We think a theme day is a great idea. It brings attention to an important topic: safer internet. This year we partnered with the Media Literacy Week arranged by National Audiovisual Institute in Finland, and decided to devote a full week for better internet on all Momio countries.
Our characters Jack, Lucas and Emily are encouraging and challenging the momios to discuss better internet all week. The themes raised are:
- What makes you happy online?
- What could you do to make internet better for everyone?
- What’s the last thing you’ve posted on the internet and how do you think it makes others feel?
- What would you do if you saw a friend being bullied online?
- What would you do if you couldn’t use internet for a full week? This one is inspired by Finnish #poikkeustila (“state of emergency”) campaign.
We’re looking forward to the discussions! Time after time we’re amazed by the great debates and thoughts that the young Momio users are capable of. They’re so clever!
The discussions raised on Momio also work as a base for talks at home. What would you answer to the five questions above? What do you think your kid would? Try it out already today!
This week we bring extra attention to safer and better internet on Momio but for us, every day is a safer internet day. We’re in this business to make a difference, and by challenging kids to think about their own behaviour as well as other people’s behavior, we can do our part in raising a generation of well-informed, well-behaving internet users.